Saturday, July 10, 2010

Maintenance

Captain's Log - Day 19

We accomplished a lot today!

Kentucky Dam Marina let us use their courtesy van to go into town. Kentuckiana was our first stop for a few boating supplies and then we cruised down to the NAPA auto parts store. The guy who worked the counter had been a boat mechanic for 40 plus years! We told him what that we needed oil caps for our boats motors. After asking what year, make, and model he was able to saunter into the back and find exactly what we needed - from memory! Didn't even look anything up. Amazing. He went on to tell us some common problems to look for in our boat. We wanted to invite him to join us for the rest of the trip!

We stopped at Wendy's for lunch. This was a slightly less satisfying experience than talking to NAPA guy. Burger and fries sat pretty heavy after not eating greasy food for so long!

At Walmart we stocked up on some staples - Coke, anchor chain, sunscreen, and a pocket knife. We also picked up some serious bug repellent! We went with the most DEET we could find - 40%! I want that stuff to singe my arm hair and any mosquito foolish enough to come close!

After a quick DQ stop, we went back to Plan C and got her cleaned up to be listed for sale! Simon cleaned inside and took pictures while I scrubbed the decks. Scrubbing decks is harder than I anticipated! But she cleaned up real nice! Check out the Craigslist ad. There are more pictures here on Flickr.

The cleaning was done, and we were ready to get back on the river. After refueling, we checked the the fore hold and discovered the bilge wasn't working! There was an alarming amount of water in there! Fortunately, we were still at the marina and bought a new bilge and float switch. After installing them, we discovered that the problem was a blown fuse. Note to self ... check fuses first ...

But the old bilge was on its last leg, so it was probably good to replace anyway.

While I was scrubbing the decks, I think I burned my neck and face. Forgot to put on sunscreen again. I'm gonna be super tan the next time you see me. Or, I may be alarmingly red.

I hesitate to invite the comparison, but my goal is to be the shade of an expertly toasted marshmallow. Though I'm afraid that I passed that stage long ago. All the hair on my arms has turned blonde! It could be good if the mohawk did that - it'd be easier to pass off all this grey hair!

We didn't make much progress today. We're on the hook just south of where we were docked last night. It's good to be back on the boat again. While we're on land we have to put on airs: showering, wearing shirts and underwear, using bathrooms.

5 comments:

  1. So you're not going to buy any replacement anchors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I have a question for you. Could you/would have made this trip by yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. JW - Kentuckiana didn't have any that were larger than the two we already have. We're going to look at another marina next time we stop.

    Anonymous - I could've made the trip by myself, but not in this boat. I would've had to get a much, much smaller boat. Plan C is a two man job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Craigslist ad needs more exclamation points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Word Micah, caught him on that too. Needs AT LEAST 3 more. Thinking one after what type of engines she has to make them seem bigger.

    ReplyDelete