Wednesday, July 21, 2010

CCR

Captain's Log - Day 30

Another day of smooth sailing!

Simon downloaded a CCR greatest hits album today (that's Creedence Clearwater Revival if you're not American, or you are American but you've just never listened to music). Creedence is so goood (you know what the extra "o" is for)! After a few listens through the album, Simon and I agreed that we love all but one song, and even that song is pretty good!

I grew up believing that "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" was a California Raisins song. I figured they didn't write their own songs, but I never suspected they were covering a Creedence song! A part of my innocence was stripped away the day I learned that.

We passed two nuclear power plants today! (Click here for Homer Simpson's pronunciation guide.) I think this may have been the first time I've seen one in person. They're pretty impressive - completely silent, billowing steam out enormous exhaust chimneys. The steam coming out of these plants looked like clouds only a bit darker; maybe because they were lower or denser?

As we drove under the clouds, I half hoped that they would start raining on us. See where I'm going with this? Maybe the rain would be just radioactive enough to bestow super powers on me! Then I could take my rightful place as a member of the B.P.R.D.. My backup would be the Mutant Academy or maybe S.H.I.E.L.D.. No thanks, JLA ... unless Batman comes back ... but then only maybe.

We locked through our second to last lock today. That'll be a bittersweet moment when we pass through our last lock ...

Tidbit #3 - Don't overpack. You're probably gonna wear your swim trunks everyday. Not only do they allow you to hop into the water at a moment's notice, you don't have any underwear - an unnecessary layer that only heats you up! Shirts are a luxury reserved for the occasional foray onto land - two or three should do you just fine. You're going to want some shorts and underwear to go with those t-shirts so bring one or two pairs (and in Simon's case a needle and thread for repairs). Gotta have boat shoes - flip flops will only trip you up and send you overboard. That's really about all you need!

We're on the hook now where the Piney River meets the Tennessee.

8 comments:

  1. Even with the hyperlinks, I didn't understand anything you said in the fourth paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Your nerdy comicbookness is lost on your readers Brando! I love CCR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really hoping the title of this blog entry was a misprint, and you were going to talk about CPR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fact check: "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" was originally performed by Smokey Robinson and popularized by Marvin Gaye.

    Or so says Wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting how "orange" Simon looks after passing those two nuclear power plants. And that's one big lock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jonathan - if you wait long enough, I'm sure they'll make movies that will illuminate most of those!

    Jon - don't knock it, man! You've already been recruited for the podcast!

    Micah - CPR is good too ... we probably should've learned that for this trip ...

    Tim - good catch. I actually didn't do any research, so that's my bad.

    JW - I'll have to keep an eye on him and see if I can figure out what his new power is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should consider the Avengers, at least as a backup school. I don't think you could make it at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters having come by your abilities by means of radioactive rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 tidbit #3's eh? What are you, a guy or something?

    ReplyDelete