Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Chattanooga

Captain's Log - Day 28

We're made it through the Chickamauga Lock with 10 hours to spare!

At about 4pm (which turned out to be 5pm - we're evidently in eastern time now) we passed through the lock with another boat - Toes in the Water. (For those of you who are not film fans/buffs, this is called foreshadowing.) She had a bit of trouble getting tied off; understandable since the currents in this lock were pretty crazy, which is probably why they're closing it down for repairs for a month!

Chattanoooga ("I put the extra 'o' in because it's so good") is quite an impressive city from the river. Very beautiful. From the river you can see several museums, the aquarium, a fountain, public docks, several attractive bridges, and a bunch of marinas.

We're docked now at the Island Cove Marina. It's a nice marina with a restaurant called the Fox Cay. Turns out they have good fried chicken! Will (just down the dock from us) recommended it, along with the coconut shrimp appetizer, which is also very good.

I know you've been waiting with bated breath for my next piece of boating advice, so here it its:

Tidbit #2 - Mosquitoes can smell fear. You have to go on the offensive, keeping in mind that chemical warfare against these savages is almost ineffectual. Get physical. Your best strategy is going to be to seal yourself in with them and then battle it out - cage match! Hunt them down, because if you don't, they will feast on you during your sleep.

After dinner at the Fox Cay, Simon and I spied the crew of the Toes in the Water! The were wearing Toes in the Water t-shirts and similarly branded koozies! We stopped and chatted for awhile.

Randy and Rebecca (captain and first mate, respectively) are delightful! They're natives of Chattanooga and have traveled the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers extensively. We were envious of their themed apparel, and they were generous enough to give us some koozies!

Their boat name was inspired by a Zac Brown Band song, "Toes". I'd never heard of Zac Brown and his band before tonight, but Randy and Rebecca told us he's Jimmy Buffet's musical heir. That song's being added to the Huck Finn 2010 soundtrack!

Also currently on the soundtrack are Sweet Home Alabama, Southern Man, Styx's Come Sail Away and the superior version that is sung by Eric Cartman, Oysters and Pearls (recommended by Rob, captain of the Easy Living), and a very obscure Guns N' Roses song called We Are Sailing that is evidently only available through youtube. Any other suggestions?

I finished Life on the Mississippi today! It was good - a bit slow at times, but good! Now I've moved on to a recommendation from JW - A Whole New Mind. I'm only on the third chapter or so, but it's good!

8 comments:

  1. Never figured there were currents in the locks. Clearly, the sheathed knife is a must have (in view of the "Caution" sign). T-Shirts, CDs (DVDs?) and koozies, is a tour in the works, a book or better yet - a documentary? Simon, nice pose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The term "Jimmy Buffet's musical heir" was enough for me to start plotting his death... and not just for Mr. Brown, but also for his band. It's not going to be some sort of quick, sniper-rifle-headshot-from-a-rooftop death either, but a long and gruesome process. I couldn't listen to "Toes" for more than 30 seconds without also plotting the death of Mr. Buffet himself (my initial thought was "stampeded by elephants," but that may not be gruesome enough).

    When I'm in prison for all these murders, and they make a made-for-television movie about my story, can you make sure it's called "Cheeseburger in Hell" ...? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to live near Chattanooga! I definitely recommend the Aquarium, and last I knew, the Chattanooga Choo-Choo was a pretty cool place to visit too.

    Somehow I don't miss Chattanooga though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara Watkins's version of Long Hot Summer Days would be my pick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JW - Only one of the inlets or pumps or whatever was working, so it was pushing us to port really hard. When both work, it's not as bad.

    Micah - Hahaha! Even if you don't like Jimmy Buffet, his music feels kinda right on the water!

    The Blonde - You used to live in Chattanooga? What is this Chattanooga Choo Choo you speak of? How can you not miss it? I'm leaving tomorrow, and I think I'll miss it ;)

    Tim - I'll have to check that out ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's song about working on river barges, so I thought it might be appropriate.
    (Specifically, it's about the Illinois River which winds through my hometown, so I might be biased, but I still think it's a great song.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brand-0: I hope you realize I'm going to have to kill you too after that comment. Sorry bro. You had a good run though... almost made it to 28!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah....wow, actually we lived about, oh, 5 minutes from the Island Cove Marina. No Joke. We lived in Harrison for 7 years.

    Hmm.....I've googled the Chattanooga Choo Choo and I fear they've turned it into a tourist trap. It used to be a pretty charming old, restored train station. Ah well....now you can stop mourning the fact that you missed it.

    ReplyDelete