Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Mark Twain lives!!! We rode in his Camry ...

Captain's Log - Day 8

Another good day on the mighty Mississip!

Tonight we've docked in Hannibal, Missouri - Samuel Clemens' (aka Mark Twain's) hometown from the between the ages of 4 and 18. We wandered around town for a bit - stopped by the Down Under Lounge where the barkeep asked us if we were packing. He thought it was a good idea for us to be carrying guns on our trip down the river. We chatted with him for awhile about Hannibal, the Mississippi, and his travels. Really nice guy.

He recommended that for dinner we head to the Broadway Bar. They have these huge, delicious pork tenderloin sandwiches

After dinner, google maps led us to a phantom Kroger on Bird Street and Main Street. As we wandered, we asked a passerby where the Kroger was and he informed us that it was pretty far - over a mile. Then he offered us a ride! He took us to Wal-mart and then back to the parking lot of the marina!

Turns out this guy's name is Paul Jim Waddell. He used to work in the galley on a riverboat named the Mississippi Queen. He said it was pretty rough. They worked 17 hours a day in split shifts so they only had at most 4 hours to sleep! Also, he said that the crew quarters were below the waterline, and the bilges didn't always work so you could wake up in 18 inches of the Mississippi!

His current occupation is playing Mark Twain in reenactments! We rode in Mark Twain's Camry! Pretty cool, huh?

Check out this station wagon - it's almost identical to my first car! Good old '77 Ford Country Squire ..

Most things in Hannibal shut down pretty early. In fact, a lot of businesses are shuttered too - pretty sad. There's a theater on the other side of the levee from the marina so we went to see a movie. Unfortunately, we missed Jonah Hex by about half an hour. We saw Knight and Day instead.

I know, I know. I went into with really, really low expectations. It is Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz film, afterall ... But even with my low expectations, I was supremely disappointed by the fact that *SPOILER ALERT* ... no one in the film is named "Day!" What? You're making a cutesy romantic action flick and you pass up that absurdly obvious hook? What?!

As the credits began to roll, we were almost stampeded by a hoard of squealing 12-15 year old girls. No joke. They rushed into the theater like the Mississippi through a broken levee. This unstoppable force wanted only one thing - to see the midnight showing of the new Twilight movie. It was frightening. I can handle crowds of pale, greasy nerds at midnight showing, but I'm really out of my league here ...

Just before I wrote this, a train passed between the marina and the levee! I may or may not have touched the Burlington Northern Santa Fe train as it passed by ...

Tomorrow, I plan to get up semi-early and go check out the Mark Twain museum!

4 comments:

  1. He forgot to mention that while he wrote this post nike and I returned to the Down under bar and hung out with Dan (the tender) and Joe (a local) to play some pool ... Which we won, but right before Dan took his 357 out unloaded it and handed it to me... No joke. Then asked me how she felt, haha, I replied " awesome" and gave it to mike and took a great photo. He handed ne his gun!!! Wow, I do lve the river. After we took a tour of the 5 story 1830's building which used to be a post office and then went to the roof! It was a view very few have seen and a tour that unveiled new things to even the Dan and Joe. Epic is the word I use for this type of occasion. Saw the entire town and rooms that more history than I could imagine, floors were all marble and the craftsnanship was flawless. Amazing how we used to build the simplest of buildings. Travesty that's it's empty but if it wasn't I might not of been able to see it.

    People all down this river never cease to amaze me, seriously. They are characters from all walks and full of stories and a willingness to share like I've never experienced before. Love them all and will forget none of them. Think that's how friends are made here, by handing them your gun... It's like their handshake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first part of that is a mess do to my excitement. Sorry but it was really that awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon You really need to wait til your sober before you write!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete