Sunday, June 27, 2010

Adventure on the River!

Captain's Log - Day 6

Hey-oh! Another day afloat!

So, people have been asking me about life on the Mississippi. Let me break down our day today just to give you an idea.

We woke up around 10am and weighed anchor. This was actually pretty tough because both our anchors were planted deep in what seemed to be clay. Took some doing, but we got 'er done.

We have a breakfast of scrambled eggs with cheddar, toast, and canned peaches. Simon attempts to choke down some instant coffee ... I'm not a coffee drinker, but even I can tell that stuff is pretty bad after just one sip.

We cruise for miles, pass through a few locks without incident. Lunch is PB&J sandwiches with Sun Chips. Maybe grab a freeze pop for dessert.

At one point, we were boarded by a pirate ... wearing a rape whistle ... , but fortunately, we were able to fend him off. Pretty fierce looking, right?

As we cruise, we pump some tunes (including Phantogram's Eyelid Movies, which I'm finding to be good cruising music), work out with some resistance bands, get towed on a line behind the boat, and read. I actually finished Wastelands on Friday. It's a collection of post-apocalyptic short stories. If you're into that sort of thing, I recommend picking it up! Thanks, Taylor for letting me borrow it.

During our cruise, we passed two guys in kayaks who said they're headed to Tampa! Wow! That's amazing. Maybe that's what I'll do next time - up the ante a little bit.

We stopped in Muscatine, Iowa to refuel. Plan C was thirsty - she took 111 gallons! This whole time we had been thinking that we had a 100 gallon fuel tank ... guess not! Also, proud to report that we did not crash into this fuel dock! We're getting better with each day!

Speaking of post-apocalyptic, check out this power plant we passed just south of Muscatine! This thing looks crazy! Wouldn't this be a great setting or backdrop for a movie in the "ghetto future" genre? Wonder if Leonardo DiCaprio would be interested in playing the lead ... I'd watch that movie.

Around 6pm, we start looking for beaches and found a great little beach on Willow Bar Island. This is a very desolate stretch of river, so we break out the 20 gauge and shoot some skeet!

After a dinner of pasta, we build a fire on the beach and toast some marshmallows.

And now, here I am blogging. All in all, not a bad day. Plus, Simon's rice remedy worked on Mike's iphone! There's one to take off the casualties list!

6 comments:

  1. What a great time, love the blog. What about some insight on how you planned for the trip. Did you buy the boat just for this trip or already owned it? How are you planning to get back home, does the oil spill in the gulf concern you at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Phantogram :: You're welcome. Good thing I gave it to you in person because if I had waited for you to download it from the skydrive, you'd've (yes, DOUBLE conjunction) never listened to it. Have I told you lately that I hate you?

    Re: rape whistle :: "Like anyone would want to 'R' her." (source?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm so jealous of you guys. I soooo wish I could join you guys for just a day or two. It sounds so peaceful and restful, well...at least parts of the day do :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is believable except the pic of Simon shooting skeet into the sun! Now we know it was just dumb luck when he won the skeet shooting contest...with his eyes closed?!
    The Dad

    Oh, by the way...do newts hibernate in the summer...in the cold basement...while floating...upside down? :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving following this blog. I love adventure and feel like I should fly/drive right on down there and take you boys to lunch, but then I already think you are "out to lunch" so I'm not sure what to do. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buster!! Good quote Micah. Rachael and I are just catching up on your blog tonight Brandon, sounds awesome. Welcome for the book. Also, all the witnesses involved in the "treble-hook incident" will remember that it was totally your fault. You wouldn't give me back my brand new (and extremely sharp) rapala! And even if I did have something to with it, at least I wasn't the one passing out after just having the hook barely under the skin (while Dad had to use the PLIERS to get the hook out of my thumb!!) Love you

    Tates

    ReplyDelete