Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Adjustments

Captain's Log - Day the Second

We're learning and adapting to all the little quirks that a 32 year old boat has, including the fact that the forward bilge pump can only be activated by opening up a hatch in the kitchen floor and flipping over the float switch. A week ago, I wouldn't have even understood half the words in that sentence. 

 I'm also learning that I can adjust to more than I first thought. For instance, I've always been one of those people who claims to not be able to sleep when it's hot. I've actually experienced this. Last night however, by some miracle, I was able to sleep despite dripping with sweat ... literally dripping with sweat. Who knew, right? 

And now I'm blogging through the swarm of gnats and mosquitos that are congregating on my screen. I know for a fact that I've inhaled at least two. 

So far, I think that Mos Def's The Ecstatic is my current favorite for early morning cruising music. 

Despite the heat, the river is beautiful. And, it's much larger than I imagined! We're currently beached just south of Prairie du Chein, Wisconsin. Tomorrow night we'll be staying at Dubuque!


Alright, I've turned on a light in another part of the boat and the bugs are distracted - I have to make good my escape!

3 comments:

  1. The Moondoggies would've been perfect cruising music. I'm still willing to e-mail it to you if you want it... just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you made it to the beaches at Wyalusing! How cool was it to see your depth gauge hit 90 feet when the two rivers met!! You traveld across some very historic ground there... Father Marquette "found" Wisconsin!

    You guys are taking the trip that Kate and I dream of for retirement... enjoy!

    Also... when you get to the Davenport BEWAR OF THE SUBMERGED WALL ALONG THE LEFT DESCENDING SIDE OF THE RIVER... check the charts! You'll do fine.

    The Crew of EZ LIVIN

    ReplyDelete
  3. My money is on the Idots hitting the wall! At least it will make for good blogging. Perhaps an underwater camera to take pics of damage would be a good investment.

    ReplyDelete