Friday, June 25, 2010

Clinton

Captain's Log - Day 4

Another day afloat! Always glad to be able to say that at the end of a day!

We did have a close call today. Check out this bridge. I took a picture of it after we passed under it because before we passed under it I was too busy getting ready to duck! We passed under with just 2 fee to spare! Little bit hairy ... I realized then that I don't know the clearance of our boat. Not that it would've mattered, because there were no markings on the bridge indicating how high it was so ... yeah. Good thing the river wasn't up a few more feet!

We were passed by an old-school looking riverboat today! Made me think of Mr. Samuel Clemens. Wonder if his riverboat looked similar to this?

We haven't had much success fishing yet, though we did manage to snag Simon. Anyone want to place bets on how long it is before I've got one of these treble hooks firmly planted in my thumb and forefinger? I think the fact that Taylor's not on the trip is going to help ... Cause that one time it happened to us it was totally his fault.

During our restocking trip in Dubuque, we failed to find any inner tubes to pull behind the boat, so we improvised with our bumpers. It's not quite the same, but it's a good way to cool down!

We're on the hook about a half mile south of Lock #13 in Clinton, Iowa. For you landlubbers, a "hook" is an anchor, so "being on the hook" means we've dropped anchor ... See how that works?

I gotta be honest, it's blowing my mind that we're just anchoring in the (almost) middle of the river for the night. That's so much freedom! Where else can you just decide, "alright, I'm putting my house here for the night" - and it's ok! And free! I'm loving it!

We're finding that one of the benefits of anchoring in the river is that the bugs tend to stay near shore.

Speaking of bugs, remember those fishflies I told you about yesterday? We saw some on part of the southbound entrance to Lock #13, and they're insane! That cloud is fishflies! Zoom in on it an check it out! Maybe there's something to this cabby's stories ...

5 comments:

  1. We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness. It was kind of solemn, drifting down the big, still river, laying on our backs looking up at the stars, and we didn't ever feel like talking loud, and it warn't often that we laughed—only a little kind of a low chuckle. We had mighty good weather as a general thing, and nothing ever happened to us at all—that night, nor the next, nor the next.
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    Huck and Jim, Chapter 12.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how is the gas mileage? I bet it not quite as good as my truck!
    The Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really should've watched the Ken Burns doc on Mark Twain before you embarked (disembarked?) ... good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://steamboattimes.com/images/maps/map_mississippi_main610x1890.jpg

    You need a small "boat shaped" push pin that states "We are here".

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you stop and hook in the middle of the river what about the barges that travel at night?

    ReplyDelete